I am not sure why sweet potatoes are considered a Fall favorite. They are my all-year-round favorite potato, anyway, what's not to love about them. The gorgeous orange color, loads of beta carotene and fiber, and so forgiving. It is adaptable in stews, soups, salads, roasted, baked, broiled, and boiled into delicious desserts, salads, and anything you like. I love pears and sweet potatoes and was thinking of a way to combine them into one delicious meal. Cannot cook anything elaborate and so decided to go with bulgur wheat. Soaked a handful of bulgur, browned up some diced pears and sweet potatoes with a bit of chilli, mixed it all up and sprinkled lemon juice and cilantro....and a delicious, beautiful, and absolutely healthy meal was born.
Ingredients I used:
1 medium sweet potato, peeled, and cut into chunks
1 pear, peeled and diced into small cubes
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
1 cup hot water
1 small chilli, finely minced (optional)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 tbsp butter
Salt to taste
A few simple steps and you are done:
- Soak the bulgur wheat in one cup hot water, close the pan, and set aside.
- Boil the sweet potato chunks and dice it.
- Heat a medium skillet and add butter, diced pears, and sweet potato. Add minced chilli and salt.
- Continue cooking until the pears and sweet potatoes begin to caramelize and look yummy....
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Uncover the bulgur wheat and fluff with a fork. Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Toss the caramelized goodness into the bulgur and toss gently - do not mash up the lovely brown diced pears.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and chopped cilantro. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.