This is a quick go-to recipe that is not only easy to prepare, but beautiful too with its different hues of green. It is healthy and kids love this pretty dish too. It tempts you to dig your fork in even if you are not a fan of cabbage, in which case you can use your favorite greens instead of cabbage. You could also use napa cabbage or savoy cabbage. If you do not have edamame (fresh soy beans) or green peas, you can prepare the dish without it. I think using red cabbage will also be ideal. I use fresh cilantro, but feel free to use your favorite herb.
1 lb. cabbage, finely shredded
1 cup frozen edamame
1 cup frozen green peas
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno, finely diced (optional) or 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup water or vegetable broth
Salt to taste
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. fresh herb (your favorite herb)
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet and add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds are toasted, add sliced onions and minced garlic and cook to medium brown.
- Add jalapeno or red pepper flakes and stir.
- Add frozen edamame and green peas and cook for a minute.
- Add cabbage, salt, and water or broth. Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Garnish with any herbs of your choice and sprinkle lemon juice.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.