Caramelized apples and onions are a perfect combination, especially when ooey-gooey cheese jumps into the mix and a browned crusty tortilla holds the cheesy mixture. This is a perfect quick snack, adaptable depending on your favorite cheese, or what you have in your refrigerator when the craving strikes. I put this together in a few minutes for a quick snack. I always stock pepper jack cheese at home, definitely one of my favorite cheeses, although brie is my favorite. I like to brown my quesadillas until toasty and crispy, simply love the crunchy tortilla before being hit with an explosion of flavors, sweet, tart, spicy, cheesy.......it cannot be easier if you have the few ingredients at home.
Ingredients for the quick snack:
1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese
A pinch of salt
2 medium sized tortillas (whole wheat)
1 tsp olive oil
A few quick steps before you can dig into the quesadilla:
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet and brown apples and onions until carmelized. Set aside.
- Warm a griddle and warm a tortilla until browned.
- Spread the apple-onion mixture on the tortilla and top with grated cheese.
- Place the other tortilla on the apple-onion mixture and continue to heat until the cheese begins to melt.
- Carefully flip over the tortillas and brown the other side.
- When browned to your perfection, slide onto a cutting board.
- If you can wait until the quesadilla slightly cools, that would be great. If not, cut into wedges and enjoy!!