December 27, 2011

Aniseed Braid

Earlier this month I happened to lay my hands on a book that captivated me with the beautiful breads and cakes.  Warm Bread and Honey Cake – Home Baking From Around The World by Gaitri-Pagrach Chandra, a food historian who is a Guyanese Hindu of Indian ancestry.  Educated in North America and Europe and married into a European Jewish family, her book abounds with anecdotes and recipes from several parts of the world.  If you are a home baker looking for something different and like to bake authentic recipes from other countries, this book is for you. I baked a couple of other breads and cakes, and hopefully will post them some time soon.




I followed the recipe and made no changes.  The recipe can be accessed here.








I baked this bread for Christmas and it was a huge success....there were no leftover crumbs!  Everyone loved the aniseeds that imparted a characteristic flavor to the braid.  Here is my braid yeasting away....
And the finished braid...


I hope you bake this beautiful bread.  I am sending it off to Yeastspotting @ Wild Yeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment