January 1, 2012

Fresh Dinner Rolls and Vegetable Soup

We had a simple lunch today, soup and fresh dinner rolls (I wonder why I shouldn't call it lunch rolls since I had it for lunch).  I was in a mood to bake, but nothing fancy that would keep me glued to a recipe.  So, I went to my favorite recipe for rolls from the King Arthur Flour website.  It is a recipe for cinnamon rolls, but instead of the cinnamon filling, I simply brushed the dough with some melted butter and italian seasoning and let it rise, then baked the rolls at 375 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes.  As soon as it was done and out of the oven, drizzled some extra virgin oil, italian seasoning and sea salt.  Yummy and warm....there were only six rolls left when it was time for lunch!

The vegetable soup is literally "an everything but the kitchen sink" soup.  In went one potato, one turnip, one kohlrabi, 2 medium carrots, 1 parsnip (all diced), one small leek (coarsely chopped), 1/2 cup green peas, and 1/2 cup dandelion greens (that is what I had in the refrigerator).  Sauteed one finely diced veggie sausage link, added the leek and allowed to soften.  Then added all the vegetables and 4 cups of vegetable stock (if you prefer, add chicken stock for extra flavor).  Dumped it all in a pressure cooker, added some salt, and cooked it for 7-8 minutes..... the soup was ready.  Topped with dandelion greens, freshly ground black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil.

5 comments:

  1. The simplicity and goodness of the rolls and the soup jump out of the post, both in words and pics. The King Arthur Flour site was a treat too. Wishing you are yours all the best in the new year. As you already know, our new year is still rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful combo. hearty and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shantha! Thanks for dropping by. I'm glad I culd discover your blog. Love the dinner rolls!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hy Shantha,
    just found your space...lovely space you have..
    nice presentation with inviting cliks.
    dinner rolls sounds awesome..
    happy subscribing you..;)
    check out mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. You got a tasty blog - lots of interesting stuff for me to try out :)

      Delete